Confirmed: Kids’ Praising Obama an official public school activity

September 24, 2009 | By admindude | Filed in: Education, Jon, Politics, Religion.

An important update about the creepy video we posted yesterday. The Burlington Township School District, to which B. Bernice Youngs Elementary School belongs, posted the following Letter to Parents this morning.

Dear Burlington Township Families:

Today we became aware of a video that was placed on the internet which has been reported in the media. The video is of a class of students singing a song about President Obama. The activity took place during Black History Month in 2009, which is recognized each February to honor the contributions of African Americans to our country. Our curriculum studies, honors and recognizes those who serve our country. The recording and distribution of the class activity were unauthorized.

Sincerely,
Dr. Christopher M. Manno,
Superintendent of Schools

So, a public school had an official lesson using impressionable children to praise Barack Obama. The song they used even co-opted lyrics from “Jesus Loves the Little Children” with Obama’s name inserted in place of God.

This story is only getting started.

UPDATE: Many thanks to Michelle Malkin and National Review Online for the links and for keeping national attention on this story.

You can follow me on Twitter here.

76 comments on “Confirmed: Kids’ Praising Obama an official public school activity

1. Ben Boychuk says:

That’s a terrific letter. “The recording and distribution of the class activity were unauthorized.” Otherwise, the cultlike hosannahs to the president were cool for school. You know I was fine with the president’s speech as delivered a couple of weeks ago. But this…? There ought to be hell to pay.

2. Exurbankevin says:

“The recording and distribution of the class activity were unauthorized.”

Translation:

“And we would have gotten away with it, if it weren’t for you meddling kids!”

The only issue they seem to have is that they got caught.

Homeschooling is looking better and better all the time.

3. John G. says:

How long before this “classroom activity” becomes a standard part of school curriculum all across the country?

And this is just the one we KNOW about.

Wake up America!

4. GarandFan says:

“Ooops! We got caught”.

“If you have any further questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me or Dr. King, Principal of B. Bernice Young School, directly.”

Translation: “We won’t bother to return your call”.

Next move: Find out who took the video and released it!

5. amaerican veteran says:

come on, didn’t you know PresBO is the almighty all knowing Black savior of America? i do not know who our country ever made it without him…SARC..good riddance to congress in 2010 and BO in2012

6. Whysoangry says:

GarandFan, Michelle Malkin notes it was posted on YouTube originally by “brandnuwords” and notes the owner of that account. That person is also the publisher of the book that is featured on the easel. No comment from her yet.

7. WALTERC says:

I forget, when is White History Month again? How about Asian History Month?, Native American History Month? Pacific Islander History month?

crickets.

8. amaerican veteran says:

BEEEEEEEP-“PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH, PRESS 2 FOR SPANISH, PRESSING 1 WILL ALSO DELETE YOUR MESSAGE”..

9. stacy says:

The song or music used towards the end of this video is not Jesus Love the Little Children, it is The Battle Hymn of the Republic. Below are two links, the first is to a wonderful rendition of the Battle Hymn song done by some patriotic school kids and it is well worth listening to as it is a stark reminder of what this country stands for.

the second is a link to the site of the woman who is pushing this indoctrination in our schools, and you can email her with your thoughts.

10. HockeyGuy says:

You know it is really sick.. You got Kanye West beating up on Taylor Swift – You got Jamie Foxx Beating up on Miley Cyrus – You got our own President saying a White Sargent Cop who Teaches Race Relations is a Racist.

Its not just the black community that has been brainwashed.

It is America as a Whole that is too accepting of wrong doing in the black community.

I am a 9 year Volunteer For Habitat For Humanity I have worked over 3500 hours UNPAID Not like President Obama who was paid.

I go into neighborhoods and build homes for Wounded Vets and Teachers and Cops who are Black not white… AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE BLACK VOLUNTEER STAND NEXT TO ME AND HELP … NOT ONCE.

Black people won’t help themselves, their community or stand up and say Obama Is The WRONG LEADER.

And there are too many White People doing the exact same thing. Jimmy Carter comes to mind.

I AM NOT A RACIST – I have done more for the black community then most black people have.

Its time for black people to start standing up and doing what is right.

Its time for white people to stop thinking of black people as incompetents they need to protect from themselves.

YOU WANT CHANGE? REAL CHANGE?

How about some white people get Habitat For Humanity Homes… How about some poor white kids get Donations…

How about Kanye West Throws a Concert for Iowa Flood victims after accusing white people of racism in the New Orleans flood.

HOW ABOUT IT

I PUT IN 9+ FRICKEN YEARS!

HOW ABOUT IT… STEP UP TO IT….

Obama wanted to give 8 BILLION to ACORN

None of that money would have reached one white person unless they were pimping 12 year old El Salvadoran sex slaves.

I AM NOT A RACIST – I AM A REALIST

11. michael says:

I’ve had people tell me they think Obama is the anti-christ. I told them that there were plenty of things to disagree with him about, but there was no need to be that extreme about it. When I see videos’ like this, the “because of obama” video and the one of farakhan calling him the messiah, I’m beginning to rethink my position.

12. Garey says:

What makes you think it already isn’t?

13. MarkE says:

re: “lyrics from “Jesus Loves the Little Children” with Obama’s name inserted in place of God. “

Well of course, it only follow’s Rush’s observation — what do obama & God have in common? Neither has a birth certificate.

What are their differences? God does not think He is obama.

14. ellen says:

Got any contact info – the school district website is down (wonder why? – LOL )
    Anyway – I would like to call them and give them my input….

15. truemaiden says:

You have my attention and my respect! We have become a nation of misplaced values, as so many center on themselves. I pray for an awakening as these issues become more prevalent.

16. Femme400 says:

And what about Norwegian Americans? Where are my props, eh?

17. christian says:

it is increasingly interesting to sit back and watch your country implode. a few years ago during the bush reign as president something like this would not have been looked at or even spoken about in a bad way. actually conservatives shouted out that anyone who spoke out against president bush should be shunned from their job, by their neighbours, and by their country. just thought i would let you guys know that the majority of people around the world look at this ridiculous name calling, hate, racism, and complete lies being spewed out of you neo-cons is actually the thing that scares the rest of us the most.

18. Jason says:

Cristian,

You are delusional.

19. Whysoangry says:

Really, Christian? Do you really want to go with who has been guilty of the worst name-calling, hate, racism, and lies? Your side during Bush’s presidency or our side now? Really?

In any event, you bought the story and now we’re stuck with a really bad president. But we’ll be fine. We made it through the Carter years and we’ll make it through this. Probably.

20. BK says:

Obamas back ground is very questionable in many aseas and as of yet he has not acomplished anything good, still the children are brainwahsed to honor and admire someone who has a history with terrorists and crime organizations.

21. NC Lady says:

Quite an easy observation to make about a country not one’s own, Sir/Madam. The egregious actions shown by this administration will enable conservatives to gain a lock on the country for years to come. That is, if someone does not wrest control before the next elections in 2010 and 2012. Americans are strong willed, independent individuals. Others who have encouraged/forced certain groups to allow themselves to become enslaved to government handouts are being exposed for who they are. The citizenry will not allow them to continue working in darkness. The light will cause all rats and cockroaches to scramble and be rendered powerless. What is your country doing?

22. Jimmy Z says:

The link appears to have been pulled from their site??

23. Wayne says:

Wow, and no one understood my protests when I said I didn’t want to sing about some dead guy I never met named Jesus.

Religion is the problem, not Obama.

MarkE – You’re an idiot if you think that Obama thinks he’s God. Quit making crap up to fit your own ideals.

HockeyGuy – You may not be a racist, but you sure do stereotype them quite well. I know people from nearly every race that would fit the characteristics you describe for a black man. You’re a joke.

24. Andi says:

If I found out that this “activity” was going in my kids’ school, there would be a lawsuit. I have no idea what the grounds would be, but I’d find some. This is UNACCEPTABLE indoctrination of the children. So sick and wrong.

25. mike mallon says:

When I heard it I thought are they singing “The Battle Hymn of The Republic” at the end? It’s hard to understand the lyrics. I’m sure they would have loved to use the original lyrics to that song. “Mine eyes have seen the coming of the Lord…. This is just plain sick and creepy.

26. mystery-ak says:

Congrats Jon on reporting this story…and the exposure it has gotten.

27. 1conservativemom says:

Best comment so far
    I would be laughing if I weren’t so sick.

28. MLee says:

There were considerable numbers of warning signs during the campaign: Ayers, Wright, the fact that he voted ‘present’ dozens of times, the fact that he never held an executive position of any kind, the fact that we know nothing about his medical records, his school transcripts, his caseload when he was an attorney, the list goes on and on.. No one, including MSM, vetted this guy.. all you heard/saw was a slick talker (as long as he had a teleprompter).

And Pelosi, Reid, Dodd, Barney and all the other clowns.. running everything into the ground. Stop already!

Take back the country in 2010, before it is too late.

29. Laura says:

First of all, last time I checked Black History month was in Feb. not June.

Secondly, if they’re singing songs to recognize the accomplishments of black leaders then where are the songs about Frederick Douglas, Harriet Tubman, all those who put their life on the line to support the Underground Railroad, MLK Jr…etc…? Where are those songs?

30. Elizabeth says:

My first move would be to get an attorney. No talking to the teacher, no calling the principal and getting some lame apology and a even lamer promise to “look into it”. I would get an attorney and I would not stop until the teacher and the principal were looking for new jobs.

There is NO excuse for this.

31. mot says:

The video and the release of the video was not authorized…right…No one including parents and the public were to know this was going on. Manno is going to have to do better than this…Black History Month my ass, this is indoctrination, plain and simple.

32. One Fine Jay says:

“The recording and distribution of the class activity were unauthorized.”

Under what statute can they claim that video of this performance is “unauthorized?” The place is a public school, for one.

33. DC_Coach says:

“christian” wrote: “a few years ago during the bush reign as president something like this would not have been looked at or even spoken about in a bad way.”

No kidding, dude. One Senator said, “The Department of Education should not be producing paid political advertising for the president, it should be helping us to produce smarter students.”

Then two House committees demanded that the department explain the use of its funds for the speech, and then *another* from Congress said it was outrageous for the White House to “start using precious dollars for campaigns” when “we are struggling for every silly dime we can get” for education programs.

Finally one Representative said that if the president feels obliged to use government funds to hire outside consultants to “make him look good” then he should fire some of the public relations experts on the White House payroll. “Then the president might be more sympathetic to unemployment benefits.”

No kidding, it’s obvious that if this had been … oh wait. All of that isn’t about Obama’s speech?

No, actually everything in the above paragraph is what was said about a 10-12 minute speech George H. W. Bush gave from a high school in 1991 (carried live on CNN, PBS, and radio) by Dick Gephardt (D-MO), Patricia Schroeder (D-CO), and Martin Frost (D-TX), to name but a few who ruthlessly savaged it.

Fail?

34. DC_Coach says:

So put me a favor and imagine you live in a small town in rural Texas. Bush’s popularity is soaring just after 9/11; this is the mythical period of time now described as when we: “all pulled together, focusing on a common purpose and sharing our goodwill.”

Then a book comes out, written about Bush growing up as an ordinary child and asking, “Who will change the world?” Ultimately, he realizes that he will. “I Am George W. Bush” highlights for children their personal power to change the world. Children share stories of the possibilities for their lives, as they aspire to the greatness they have seen in George. The writer of the book promotes her book at an elementary school and films the children there performing a fawning “George W. Bush” rap song. “Mmmm mmm mmm … George W. Bush.”

Bush then makes a post-9/11 Congressional address, and the White House and Dept of Education collaborate by encouraging student and teacher participation in the historic moment. A nearby high school replays the address and discusses the significant messages inherent in it, with follow-up discussions in World History. Parents learn of all this two days ahead of time via e-mail, and are given no specific instructions on how to have their child opt out.

Now look, all of that happened. But with Obama, not GW Bush. Seriously, had Bush done something like that, you’re saying that it would have been no big deal? Honestly?

“christian” is exhibit A: a prime example of the typical far left fever swamp-dweller, someone who knows very little about something but isn’t at all afraid to go out on a limb and shout from the mountaintops.

Epic fail.

35. Al says:

It is mind boggling! It’s like we’re turning into North Korea or something. But then not a surprise where democrats are concerned. They think nothing of indoctrinating innocent, impressionable children to empower themselves. And the liberal agenda being taught in our colleges finishes the job by brain washing the mush-for-brain college students today.

36. Tammy says:

It’s so funny that when a teacher hung a picture of Bush on her wall, the liberals became unhinged. I find that having kids sing praises to Obama a far worse offense.
    Gee, does this make me a racist? I guess I am a racist then.

37. marc phillips says:

the teachers association has yet to terminate themselves from association with acorn, lets start calling the prez Zero instead if [ Oh]bama like Zerobama

38. Heidi-co says:

Have your kids seen this video??? The Story of Stuff!!

39. Iron Mike says:

At the rate the ObamaCons and the Socialists are pushing this country into National Socialism, – why not just go ahead and start teaching the Horst Wessel Song in all the schools?

40. Loner says:

Call me crazy…school children singing praises to their national leader…can anyone say Stalin? Hitler? Mao? Not to mention any number of other socialist or other commie leaders?

If this was filmed during National Black Month he had not even been the President for one and a half months!

If you are going to sing praises to someone it REALLY helps for them to have done something.

41. 2keyboards says:

“Our curriculum studies, honors and recognizes those who SERVE our country.” (emphasis mine)

Umm, he hasn’t served the country yet. Just ACORN, the unions, and the dictators around the world!

42. DaMav says:

I wonder what the chances are of someone doing a full pager in the local newspaper in the School District. I’ll bet very few are even aware of what happened unless the local paper itself is covering it fairly.

43. Bobby O says:

so if i have this right , encouraging the kids to sing a religous hymn in a public school would result in a firing immediately …. but take same religous song and replace ‘God’ with ‘ Dear Leader ‘ and now the song is great ?

You people in vermont allowing your kids in schools with management this deranged deserve what you will get down the road in terms of the end product .

44. Chris says:

I think you all need to get a life. I’ve never seen so many paranoid of nothing.

It’s pretty obvious that 3rd graders (and 4th graders, 5th graders too) are smarter then most conservatives. It’s just words. Nothing more. They will move on, and you will still be living in the past.

45. Rancher says:

“during the bush reign as president something like this would not have been looked at or even spoken about in a bad way”

Sure pal, but we will never know because this type of crap never happened with either Bush. We do know for a fact that when George H.W. Bush delivered a school speech similar to the one Obama did Democrats denounced his speech, ordered the General Accounting Office to investigate its production, and held a Congressional hearing on the issue. I can’t imagine what the response would have been had something like this sort of school sponsored indoctrination happened.

46. That’s how indoctrination starts. With “just words”.

47. Its just words man..relax

48. The Messiah says:

Actually, it is called INDOCTRINATION and it is unacceptable behavior. If teachers taught your children to sing a song about how great GWB is, you would hit the roof, and with good reason. Indoctrination is a pretty big word, so you might have to look it up, but it basically means brainwashing. In this country, that crap doesn’t fly. AT ALL.

49. Liberty Jane says:

We need real school choice in this country. I think we should consider total religious freedom – I know some will object to public funds going to religious schools (be they Jewish, Christian, Muslim, or Buddhist) – but I think there’s a real problem with a purely secular model. It just doesn’t fit everyone.

I really appreciated one thing John McCain said when he was campaigning. He said that education was the civil rights issue of our time. I never heard anyone pick up on that, but it was the most important thing I heard him say.

I home school my children, and I know others who sacrifice their life’s savings and financial security for private schools. It’s strengthening one side — the public system. And the players in the public school system are not a pretty sight.

50. Seen it all says:

I hear you, man. I remember segregation. I could not understand why Negroes (that was the polite term then) had to live in a different part of town. Then they started buying houses in other parts of town. Neighbors protested, complained that property values would go down, sold out and moved. This was around the time of the Watts riots (ah, the fun of the ’60s!)

OK, fast forward to tens of thousands of black kids now able to go to college, getting professional jobs, etc. Pretty much en masse, they left the ghetto and left it BEHIND. Those who got out, got out and moved into the middle class, distancing themselves from their cousins, etc. who did not bother or could not move. Reminds me of what happened with Irish, Polish, Italian, what have you immigrants of years past. The young got educated and moved into the middle class.

Now, I don’t know if the black middle class does any charity work or contributes to good works, but looked at en masse, they have not been seen to extend their good fortune back into the community from whence they came.

HockeyGuy is right, and I think he is just echoing the observations of racists like Bill Cosby and Thomas Sowell. And, I guess, now me.

51. m montgomery says:

haaa hillarious…. unfortunately TRUE and Thank YOU vet.

52. JD Straw says:

Why don’t you ask the man you voted for, Barack Obama, when white history month is? After all he is not just Black. He’s also a white man (remember, his mother is white). Don’t forget the white part.

53. JD Straw says:

YOUR side–
    and–
    OUR side.

Aren’t we all Americans? So sad.

Non-racists, by the way, usually don’t need to preface statements with the phrase, “I’m not a racist.”

54. Julia says:

Public school children may not be recorded on video for public viewing unless their parents authorize it. Recording this video and then putting it on youtube falls under this rule. Would you want a video (ANY video) or picture of your child, including information about their school and town, available for any sick person to see? I wouldn’t.

55. patriot1224 says:

I would ask any of you that can to look into becoming a Precinct Commiteeman for your chosen political party. I know there are Democrats as well as Republicans who would like to take their parties back. As I’ve read so many blog posts and comments over the past several months, and attended some town halls and Tea Party protests, I’ve often wondered “What can we really do about this?” The answer is organizing at the precinct level. Please look into it if you have a passion for saving the United States of America. Go to RedState.com and search for “Cold Warrior”. Thank you.

56. Liberty Jane says:

If it’s “just words,” then why can’t teachers instruct them in hymn-singing?

57. marc phillips says:

the beginning of the hitler children all over again, we are on to you teachers association acorn loving gestapo

58. marc phillips says:

mmm mmmm mm is a copyright of M&M and last I watched they sued a singer for using this phrase, lets watch and see if they’re independent or far left

59. TaxachusettsGirl says:

the link to the letter on the school district’s website is no longer valid… Hmmmmmmmmmmmm….

60. WriterX says:

What a non-response response from the Superintendent. Way to take some responsibility.

61. P. Cris says:

This video is a disgrace!! Imagine if Obama’s name was replaced by Bush? Channel 2, 4, 7, CNN . would definitely have covered that one. I have yet to hear it on those channels. Only FOX reported it. Fair and Balanced. Also, a teacher’s job is to educate not indoctrinate. The book is one thing (used to educate and discuss) but to sing a song and indoctrinate!!UNacceptable!

62. Just a Note says:

Some commenters on Althouse determined that the performance was recorded on Monday, March 23. The book’s author posted it to YouTube on June 19 as a father’s day tribute to Obama

63. JohnD13 says:

To be fair… Obama grew up in Indonesia. Many teachers and school administrators grew up in foreign lands, or were at least taught to admire foreign lands as noble and hate America as the source of evil in the word.

Lands of Cults of Personality.

You can see in your mind the pictures of Sadaam and Khomeni in the Middle East; you can see the large portraits of Stalin and Castro in the town squares; and you can certainly picture the large portraits of leaders in Asian Countries like North Korea, Vietnam, and yes… Indonesia.

These places have non-American cultures. To them, the “Cult of Personality” is perfectly normal. People are taught to serve the state, to be ruled by the state. It’s accepted, and how it’s done.

Here in America, we were founded as the first nation that believed that the government exists to serve the people. As Abe Lincoln said, we are in an experiment to see if any nation – so conceived – can long endure. We are a nation that has a government “of the people, by the people, for the people.”

That is our history. Our legacy. Our prize. And what makes America so special.

I was taught this as I was going through school (yes, public school) in the 1960s and 1970s. Obama, going to school in Indonesia, was taught something else. During his formative years he saw a government of “a cult of personality.”

And many of his staffers believe in the cult of personality, too. They adore Castro and Che, even Mao and Stalin some of ’em. And they want to see Obama take his place among those names. They think it’s a GOOD thing.

And so, we get Obama on TV every day (or five times on some days.) We get him piped into the schools. We get the little kiddies to sing songs praising him, and his brilliance, and they pray for his peaceful benevolence.

This is all perfectly normal in other countries.

It never used to be perfectly normal here. And those of us who truly understand what this country is about will never stand for it.

We believe that the government exists to serve US. And that includes President Obama. They are there to protect our rights, and to ensure our freedoms.

We don’t exist to serve them. Our money is our money, not their money. And people who choose to not earn their own money are not entitled to some of mine.

America was a land of freedom, and a land of achievement. It was a land where anybody could succeed – not a land where everybody was forced into subservience to support those that choose not to support themselves.

America was greatest when “American Spirit” stood for the strength and resolve of the American People – not the politician who got to sit in an oval office for four years.

America WILL be great again because of the strength and spirit of the American People, which we are starting to see rise up and emerge once again.

Not because of the power of our “Dear Leader” but because we know the power is our own.

Let this nonsense remind us THAT truth.

64. drjohn says:

“The recording and distribution of the class activity were unauthorized.”

All your base are belong to us.

All your kids are belong to us.

65. Lulu says:

This is an obsolute disgrace.

66. TomB says:

Does anyone have the link to the video of them singing the “We Love George Bush” song that they performed during White History Month? I’m looking…

Calm down, just a bit of sarcasm to brighten your day.

67. Lydia L. says:

Teaching little kids to love their country and be loyal to it: Good. Teaching little kids that their first loyalty should be to Dear Leader, a god-like being: Not so Good.

68. Wry Mouth says:

C’mon, people! A quick perusal of the lyrics here:

I’ve found if you listen along while reading them, you can get the “song” stuck in your head for most of the day! ;o/

P.S. I remember an Up With People song about God where a lyric was “He is Red, He is Yellow, He is Black He is White/ Every man’s the same in the good Lord’s sight.”

Nice to see that lyric getting a re-boot in a song about Mr. Obama.

Of course, by “nice,” I mean “creepy.”

69. Anonymous says:

Spoken like a true Obama supporter – make it so that NO ONE can find out what’s going on at the “public” school. What’s next on the list – keeping ‘certain’ parents from their own kids? Maybe not telling parents what books their kids have to read for certain school “assignments”?

How far can this go with people like you? I’d bet dollars to donuts if a similar song were sung about Ronald Reagan, you’d be the first one on the line to Child Protective Services to have the children “interviewed” so the ‘right’ people would be punished for such an indiscretion.

70. Pieareround says:

I am a teacher and this disgusts but does not surprise me. Often, these types of things are done without parents’ knowledge. By the time parents find out, it is too late. Apologies are offered after the fact (but only if someone catches them doing it) but the damage has been done. When children see people in positions of trust and authority promote these things they have no chance against such brainwashing. Speaking of teachers, have you ever wondered why there is a teacher shortage? Of the shortage, math and science teachers are the scarcest? It is because their bent towards reason and logic will not allow them to participate in the policies of the public school system. I am not a religious person, but this bothers me. I also noticed that students were more direct in asking who I voted for after this particular election. This time I made an exception and told them. “Nobody.” This caused them to chastise me for not voting. You should have seen the confusion on their faces when I told them that I had voted. When further prompted, I explained that for the past several elections, I have had to resort to voting against the worst of two evils. I haven’t voted FOR someone in a long time. When they inevitably asked who I voted against, my response was “None of your business.”

71. dgsrm says:

wayne, after reading your comments, I am reminded of the old saying… keep your mouth shut just let them think you’re an idiot…. you chose to open your and remove all doubt… IDIOT….

72. Jim Scott says:

Politics that praise or criticize any current politician, party or political agenda should never be allowed in our schools. An objective study of political history, individuals who shaped events and legislation, on the other hand, is a vital part of our educational process.

73. Johnh says:

Excellent post John. Thank you.

74. John says:

Columbus Day is coming soon. Which Christopher Columbus to you think the Bernice Young School in Burlington, NJ teaches…..

Good Christopher Columbus, discoverer of the new world. Or…..

Bad Christopher Columbus, blah, blah, blah.

75. Tim Graham says:

How about American History month! If teachers (those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it)and the media (see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil) had done their job properly there would be no BHO in the WH, and hence no indoctrination of our children. Apathy is dangerous to our Republic. No longer the “Silent Majority”. It’s past time to speak up and stop this government from taking over our lives and making slaves out of our children.

76. ProudConservative says:

I’m sure if a teacher would have been instructing kids to sing songs about what a great human being George W Bush was the media would literally have a cow, and they would be pushing to have the teachers and principals fired for indoctrinating children, and I would support the effort to remove teachers instructing kids to sing songs praising Bush, or any President. A President is not an idol to be worshiped.

And then there’s the issue of taking songs about Jesus, and substituting Obama’s name, it is mind-boggling because you can’t sing songs about Jesus in public schools, but it’s okay if you substitute Obama for Jesus. I’m not a Christian myself, but it’s just wrong.

Taking the Battle Hymn of the Republic, and changing the words to praise the President, regardless of whether there is a (D) or (R) after his name, is downright disgusting, and a dishonor to those who have sacrificed their lives to protect our freedom.